Research Outlook of Crypto Systems in the Quantum Computing Era
- Roselle S. Solitario
- University of Technology and Applied Sciences-Ibri, Sultanate of Oman
This paper puts into perspective the directions of cybersecurity research with a goal of determining where it will lead us. Based on the analysis of the previous works, the author recommends adhering to the basic countermeasure principles as a solution to the long-standing dilemma of security researchers and experts in the endless race against the attackers. Secure communications are one of the necessities to humankind. It has been around for centuries, taking many different forms, from manual lock and keys to modern cryptographic systems, all aimed at one goal: to keep the data secret known only to its intended recipients. Globally, many attempts have been made to create an ultimately secure way to transport data, but the same number of efforts have been put by attackers to break these secure systems, thus the competition between crypto designers and the attackers.
- Key Distribution
- Public Key exchange
- Quantum Computing
APA 7th Edition:
Solitario, R. S. (2023). Research Outlook of Crypto Systems in the Quantum Computing Era. Innovatus: A Journal on Computing Technology Innovations, 6(1), 7–11. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7519215
Solitario, R.S. (2023) “Research Outlook of Crypto Systems in the Quantum Computing Era,” Innovatus: A Journal on Computing Technology Innovations, 6(1), pp. 7–11. Available at: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7519215.
 R. S. Solitario, “Research Outlook of Crypto Systems in the Quantum Computing Era,” Innovatus: A Journal on Computing Technology Innovations, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 7–11, May 2023.
- A. Al-Far, A. Qusef and S. Almajali, "Measuring Impact Score on Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability Using Code Metrics," in 2018 International Arab Conference on Information Technology (ACIT), Werdanye, Lebanon, 2019.
- T. P. Thao, A. Miyaji, M. S. Rahman, S. Kiyomoto and A. Kubota, "Robust ORAM: Enhancing Availability, Confidentiality and Integrity," in 2017, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2017 IEEE 22nd Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC).
- M. Ciampa, COMPTIASecurity+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals, Fourth Edition., USA: Cengage, 2012.
- M. Kumar, J. Meena, R. Singh and M. Vardhan, "Data outsourcing: A threat to confidentiality, integrity, and availability," in 2015 International Conference on Green Computing and Internet of Things (ICGCIoT), Greater Noida, India, 2015.
- X. Li, Q. Guo and Q. Zheng, "Formal Analysis and Improvement of ZG Non-repudiation Protocol," in 2010 Second International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science, Wuhan, China, 2010.
- V. Poonia and N. S. Yadav, "Analysis of modified Blowfish algorithm in different cases with various parameters," in 2015 International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communication Systems, Coimbatore, India, 2015.
- S. Katsikeas, P. Johnson, M. Ekstedt and R. Lagerström, "Research Communities in cyber security: A Comprehensive Literature Review," arXiv.org; Ithaca, United States, Ithaca, 2021.
- A. Kubadia, D. Idnani and Y. Jain, "Performance Evaluation of AES, ARC2, Blowfish, CAST and DES3 for Standalone Systems : Symmetric Keying Algorithms," in 2019 3rd International Conference on Computing Methodologies and Communication (ICCMC), Erode, India, 2019.
- E. M. Mohamed, S. El-Etriby and H. S. Abdul-kader, "Randomness testing of modern encryption techniques in cloud environment," in 2012 8th International Conference on Informatics and Systems (INFOS), Giza, Egypt, 2012.
- P. S. Lakshmi and G. Murali, "Comparison of classical and quantum cryptography using QKD simulator," in 2017 International Conference on Energy, Communication, Data Analytics and Soft Computing (ICECDS), Chennai, India, 2017.
- V. S. Igumnov and V. N. Lis, "Influence of Quantum Computers on Classical Cryptography," in 2007 8th Siberian Russian Workshop and Tutorial on Electron Devices and Materials, Novosibirsk, Russia, 2007.
- A. S. Rawat and M. Deshmukh., "Efficient Extended Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange Protocol," in 2019 International Conference on Computing, Power and Communication Technologies (GUCON), India, 2019.
- D. E. Simos, K. Kleine, A. G. Voyiatzis, R. Kuhn and R. Kacker, "TLS Cipher Suites Recommendations: A Combinatorial Coverage Measurement Approach," in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Software Quality, Reliability and Security (QRS), Vienna, Austria, 2016.
- S.-M. Kim, Y.-H. Goo, M.-S. Kim, S.-G. Choi and M.-J. Choi, "A method for service identification of SSL/TLS encrypted traffic with the relation of session ID and Server IP," in 2015 17th Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symposium (APNOMS), Busan, Korea (South), 2015.
- V. HASHIYANA, T. HAIDUWA, N. SURESH, A. BRATHA and F. K. OUMA, "Design and Implementation of an IPSec Virtual Private Network: A Case Study at the University of Namibia," in 2020 IST-Africa Conference (IST-Africa), Kampala, Uganda, 2020.
- T. Ylonen, "SSH Key Management Challenges and Requirements," in 2019 10th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS), Canary Islands, Spain, 2019.
- A. Taparia, S. K. Panigrahy and S. K. Jena., "Secure key exchange using enhanced Diffie-Hellman protocol based on string comparison," in 2017 International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), Chennai, India, 2017.
- P. Deshpande, S. Santhanalakshmi, P. Lakshmi and A. Vishwa, "Experimental study of Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm on embedded devices," in 2017 International Conference on Energy, Communication, Data Analytics and Soft Computing (ICECDS), Chennai, India, 2017.
- A. Karakra and A. Alsadeh, "A-RSA: Augmented RSA," in 2016 SAI Computing Conference (SAI), London, UK, 2016.
- Q. Liu, Y. Li, L. Hao and H. Peng, "Two efficient variants of the RSA cryptosystem," in 2010 International Conference On Computer Design and Applications, Qinhuangdao, China, 2010.
- J. E. Avestro, A. M. Sison and R. P. Medina., "Hybrid Algorithm Combining Modified Diffie Hellman and RSA," in 2019 IEEE 4th International Conference on Technology, Informatics, Management, Engineering & Environment (TIME-E), Bali, Indonesia, 2019.
- T. K. Hazra, A. Mahato, A. Mandal and A. K. Chakraborty, "A hybrid cryptosystem of image and text files using blowfish and Diffie-Hellman techniques," in 2017 8th Annual Industrial Automation and Electromechanical Engineering Conference (IEMECON), Bangkok, Thailand, 2017.
- Y. Yusfrizal, A. Meizar, H. Kurniawan and F. Agustin., "Key Management Using Combination of Diffie–Hellman Key Exchange with AES Encryption," in The 6th International Conference on Cyber and IT Service Management (CITSM 2018), Parapat, Indonesia, 2018.
- R. Canetti and H. Krawczyk, "Analysis of Key-Exchange Protocols and Their Use for Building Secure Channels," 2001. [Online]. Available: https://iacr.org/archive/eurocrypt2001/20450451.pdf. [Accessed 29 Sept 2021].
- A. Vaishnavi and S. Pillai., "Cybersecurity in the Quantum Era-A Study of Perceived Risks in Conventional Cryptography and Discussion on Post Quantum Methods," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 1964, no. 4, 2021.
- A. Raya and K. Mariyappn., "Diffie-Hellman Instantiations in Pre- and Post-Quantum World: A Review Paper," in 2020 Fifth International Conference on Research in Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (ICRCICN), India, 2020.
- N. Chouhan, H. K. Saini and S. C. Jain., "A novel technique to modify the SHOR'S algorithm — Scaling the encryption scheme," in 2017 Second International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Communication Technologies (ICECCT), India, 2017.
- O. Grote, A. Ahrens and C. Benavente-Peces., "A Review of Post-quantum Cryptography and Crypto-agility Strategies," in 2019 International Interdisciplinary PhD Workshop (IIPhDW), Wismar, Germany, 2019.
- A. A. Bruen, M. A. Forcinito and J. M. McQuillan, "Classical Ciphers and Their Cryptanalysis," in Cryptography, Information Theory, and Error-Correction: A Handbook for the 21st Century, Wiley Data and Cybersecurity, 2021, pp. 21-45.
- M. R. Ogiela and L. Ogiela, "Cognitive Cryptography in Advanced Data Security," in 2018 IEEE 32nd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Krakow, Poland, 2018.
- M. Stipcevic, "Quantum random number generators and their use in cryptography," arXiv.org;, United States, Ithaca, 2011.
- G. Mogos, "Use quantum random number generator in Diffie-Hellman key exchange protocol," in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Automation, Quality and Testing, Robotics (AQTR), Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 2016.
- A. Raya and K. Mariyappn, "Diffie-hellman Instantiations in Pre- and Post-Quantum World," in 2020 Fifth International Conference on Research in Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (ICRCICN), Bangalore, India, 2020.
- R. A. Grimes, "How Can Quantum Computing Break Today's Cryptography?," in Cryptography Apocalypse: Preparing for the Day When Quantum Computing Breaks Today's Crypto, Wiley Data and Cybersecurity, 2020, pp. 59-83.
- C. Rios, "Experimental Characterization of a Discrete Gaussian-Modulated Quantum Key Distribution System," University of Arizona, 2021.
- U. Coruh and O. Bayat, "Hybrid Secure Authentication and Key Exchange Scheme for M2M Home Networks," Security and Communication Networks; London, vol. 2018, p. 25, 2018.
- C. Diwan and S. K. Singh, "AN APPROACH TO REVAMP THE DATA SECURITY USING CRYPTOGRAPHIC TECHNIQUES," in International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science;, Udaipur,India, 2017.
- H. Pasaribu, D. Sitanggang, R. R. Damanik and A. C. R. Sitompul., "Combination of advanced encryption standard 256 bits with md5 to secure documents on android smartphone," Journal of Physics: Conference Series; Bristol, vol. 1007, no. 1, 2018.