A Pre-Trained Deep Convolutional Neural Network for the Detection of Tungro in Rice Plants
- Ronnel R. Atole
- Karen Michelle A. Alarcon
- Garry P. Dacillo
- Partido State University Goa
This paper presents a computer vision application of transfer learning in the detection of ‘Tungro’ among rice plants, using pre-trained deep convolutional neural networks. An AlexNet network, consisting of 5 convolution layers and 3 fully connected layers of neurons, was customized and fine-tuned to accommodate as inputs, images of rice plants representing two (2) classes: those afflicted with Tungro, and those that are healthy. The fine-tuned network was trained on five hundred twenty (520) images of rice plants, three hundred sixty-eight (368) of which belong to the group without infestation, and one hundred fifty-two (152) are infested with Tungro. Both the training and testing dataset-mages were captured from rice fields around the district and validated by technicians in the field of agriculture. Applying stochastic gradient descent as the learning algorithm, the two-class classifier achieved a very high accuracy of 98.17% at mini batch size of twenty (20) and learning rate of 0.0001.
- Deep Learning, Transfer Learning, AlexNet, Convolutional Neural Network
APA 7th Edition:
Atole, R., Alarcon, K., & Dacillo, G. (2018). A Pre-Trained Deep Convolutional Neural Network for the Detection of Tungro in Rice Plants. Innovatus, 1(1), 1-8.
Atole, R., Alarcon, K. and Dacillo, G., 2018. A Pre-Trained Deep Convolutional Neural Network for the Detection of Tungro in Rice Plants. Innovatus, 1(1), pp.1-8.
 R. Atole, K. Alarcon and G. Dacillo, "A Pre-Trained Deep Convolutional Neural Network for the Detection of Tungro in Rice Plants", Innovatus, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1-8, 2018.
- A. Fuentes, S. Yoon, S. C. Kim and D. S. Park, "A Robust Deep-Learning-Based Detector for Real-Time Tomato Plant Diseases and Pests Recognition," Sensors, vol. 2017, no. 9, 6 September 2017.
- S. P. Mohanty, D. Hughes and M. Salathe, "Using Deep Learning for Image-Based Plant Disease Detection," 22 September 2016. [Online]. Available: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2016.01419/full. [Accessed 12 November 2017].
- Z. Qin and M. Zhang, "Detection of Rice Sheath Blight for In-Season Disease Management Using Multispectral Remote Sensing," International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 115-118, 2005.
- M. A. Nielsen, Neural Networks and Deep Learning, Determination Press, 2015.
- Department of Agriculture, "RICE PROGRAM," February 2016. [Online]. Available: http://davao.da.gov.ph/index.php/programs/rice-program.
- International Rice Research Institute, "How to Manage Pests and Diseases," 29 February 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/step-by-step-production/growth/pests-and-diseases.
- V. Singh and A. Misra, "Detection of plant leaf diseases using image segmentation and soft computing techniques," Information Processing in Agriculture, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 41-49, 2017.
- S. D. Khirade and A. B. Patil, "Plant Disease Detection Using Image Processing," in International Conference on Computing Communication Control and Automation, Pune, 2015.
- S. Phadikar , J. Sil and A. K. Das, "Classification of Rice Leaf Diseases Based on Morphological Changes," International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, pp. 460 -463, 2012.
- S. K. Tichkule and D. H. Gawali, "Plant diseases detection using image processing techniques," in Online International Conference on Green Engineering and Technologies (IC-GET), Coimbatore, 2016.
- V. Singh, A. K. Misra and V. Misra, "Detection of unhealthy region of plant leaves using image processing and genetic algorithm," in International Conference on Advances in Computer Engineering and Applications, Ghaziabad, 2015.
- N. Mittal, B. Agarwal, A. Gupta and H. Madhur, "Icon Based Information Retrieval and Disease Identification in Agriculture," International Journal of Advanced Studies in Computer Science & Engineering, pp. 26 -31, 2014.
- A. K. Singh, A. Rubiya and B. S. Raja, "Classification of Rice Disease Using Digital Image Processing and SVM Classifier," International Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, pp. 294 - 299, 2015.
- Krizhevsky, Alex, S. Ilya and G. E. Hinton, "ImageNet Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks," in Advances in neural information processing systems, 2012.
- International Rice Research Institute, "Brown Spot," 29 February 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/training/fact-sheets/pest-management/diseases/item/brown-spot.
- International Rice Research Institute, "Bacterial Blight," 29 February 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/decision-tools/rice-doctor/rice-doctor-fact-sheets/item/bacterial-blight.
- The University of Georgia-WSFNR; The University of Georgia-CAES; USDA Identification Technology Program;, "IPM Images," 2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.ipmimages.org/. [Accessed 10 December 2017].
- S. Mahmood Khan Pathan and M. Firoj Ali, "Implementation of Faster R-CNN in Paddy Plant Disease Recognition System," 2019 3rd International Conference on Electrical, Computer & Telecommunication Engineering (ICECTE), Rajshahi, Bangladesh, 2019, pp. 189-192, doi: 10.1109/ICECTE48615.2019.9303529.
- Pathan, S. M. K., & Ali, M. F. (2019, December). Implementation of Faster R-CNN in Paddy Plant Disease Recognition System. In 2019 3rd International Conference on Electrical, Computer & Telecommunication Engineering (ICECTE) (pp. 189-192). IEEE.
- Deb, M., Dhal, K. G., Mondal, R., & Gálvez, J. (2021). Paddy Disease Classification Study: A Deep Convolutional Neural Network Approach. Optical Memory and Neural Networks, 30(4), 338-357.