A Review of the Development of 6th Generation Network Security Adapting Artificial Intelligence and Distributed Ledger Technology
- Angel Nica Elegado
- School of Advanced Studies, Saint Louis University, Baguio City, Philippines
This paper reviews the network security in 6G applied in various emerging technologies. The content of the paper discusses the 6G, which is expected to be merged with multiple sorts of slicing enabled by new technologies and paradigms to make the system more intelligent and safeguard the network infrastructure. This literature review was performed through a systematic review using a metaanalysis review to draw a conclusion. This paper identifies the issues and challenges of the 6G network and discusses the current research areas in network security, such as AI and DLT, which were found as solutions which can be employed for security at many cybersecurity protection and defense stages. The value of these technologies is based on the benefits of autonomy, increased accuracy, and predictive capabilities for security analytics. Additionally, this study compares which approach is the most viable solution to address network security issues. The researcher wants to investigate further 6G cloud computing for future work, addressed by centralized data centers accessed via the leading network.
- 6g Communications, Network Security, Artificial Intelligence, Distributed Ledger Technology
APA 7th Edition:
Elegado, A. N. (2023). Innovatus: A Journal on Computing Technology Innovations, 6(1), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7500217
Elegado, A.N. (2023) Innovatus: A Journal on Computing Technology Innovations, 6(1), pp. 1–6. Available at: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7500217.
 A. N. Elegado, Innovatus: A Journal on Computing Technology Innovations, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–6, May 2023.
- Porambage Pawani & Gür Gürkan, Moya Osorio, Diana Pamela & Liyanage Madhusanka, Gurtov Andrei & Ylianttila Mika. 2021. The Roadmap to 6G Security and Privacy. IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/OJCOMS.2021.3078081
- Huangqing Chen, Ke Tu, Jian Li, Tang Shuang, Tingquan Li & Zemin Qing. 2020. 6G Wireless Communications: Security Technologies and Research Challenges, 592-595. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICUEMS50872.2020.00130
- Ma Jinsong & Mahammad Yamin. 2020. 5G Network and Security, 249-254. DOI: https://doi.org/10.23919/INDIACom49435.2020.9083731.
- Jorge Navarro-Ortiz, Sandra Sendra, Pablo Ameigeiras & Juan Lopez-Soler. 2018. Integration of LoRaWAN and 4G/5G for the Industrial Internet of Things. IEEE Communications Magazine, 56, 60-67. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2018.1700625.
- Haibo Yi. 2021. Improving security of 5G networks with multiplicative masking method for LDPC codes. Computers & Electrical Engineering, 95, 107384. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2021.107384.
- Huazi Zhang, et al. 2018. Parity-Check Polar Coding for 5G and Beyond. IEEE International Conference on Communications, Kansas City, USA. ICC.
- Sun Yuanyuan, Liu Jiajia, Wang Jiadai, Cao Yurui & Kato Nei. 2020. When Machine Learning Meets Privacy in 6G: A Survey.
- Khaled Letaief, Wei Chen, Yuanming Shi, Jun Zhang & Ying A. Zhang. 2019. The roadmap to 6G: AI-empowered wireless networks.
- Qingmin Yuan & Xin Tan. 2021. Research on Application of Artificial Intelligence in Network Security Defense. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2033, 012149
- Mohammed Alsharif, Anabi Hilary, Mahmoud Albreem, Shehzad Chaudhry, M. Sultan Zia & Sunghwan Kim. 2020. Sixth Generation (6G) Wireless Networks: Vision, Research Activities, Challenges and Potential Solutions.
- Frank Fitzek & Patrick Seeling. 2020. Why we should not talk about 6g. arXiv preprint arXiv: 2003.02079
- Helin Yang, et al. 2019. Artificial Intelligence-Enabled Intelligent 6G Networks.
- Tara Salman, Deval Bh, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain & Mohammed Samaka. 2019. Machine Learning for Anomaly Detection and Categorization in Multi-cloud Environments. In 2017 IEEE 4th International Conference on Cyber Security and Cloud Computing.
- Yang Lu & Xianrong Zheng. 2020. 6G: A survey on technologies, scenarios, challenges, and the related issues. In Journal of Industrial Information Integration 19. Elsevier Inc.
- inghao Wang, Tianqing Zhu, Tao Zhang, Jun Zhang, Shui Yu & Wanlei Zhou. 2020. Security and privacy in 6G networks: New areas and new challenges. In Digital Communications and Networks 6, 281-291. Elsevier Inc.
- Sabunima Nayak & Ripon Patgiri. 2020. 6G Communication: Envisioning the Key Issues and Challenges. arXiv preprint. arXiv:2020.04024
- Faiza Nawaz, Jawwad Ibrahim, Maida Junaid, Sabila Kousar & Tamseela Parveen. 2020. A Review of Vision and Challenges of 6G Technology. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications,11(2)
- Haitham Mahmoud, Amira Amer & Tawfik Ismail. 2021. 6G: A comprehensive survey on technologies, applications, challenges, and research problems. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ett.4233
- Mostafa Chowdhury, Md. Shahjalal, Moh Khalid Hasan & Yeong Min Jang. 2019. The role of optical wireless communication technologies in 5G/6G and IoT solutions: prospects, directions, and challenges. Appl. Sci. 9(20)
- Zhengquan Zhang, et al., 2019. 6G wireless networks: vision, requirements, architecture, and key technologies. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 14(3), 28-41
- Zhang Shangwei, Jiajia Liu, Hongzhi Guo, Mingpin Qi & Nei Kato. 2020. Envisioning device-to-device communications in 6G. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/MNET.001.1900652
- Nariman Farsad, H. Birkan Yilmaz, Andrew Eckford, Chan-Byoung Chae & Weisi Guo. 2016. A comprehensive survey of recent advancements in molecular communication. In IEEE Communication Survey Tutorials, 18 (3) 1887–1919. DOI: https://doi.org/ 10.1109/COMST.2016.2527741
- Shuping Dang, Osama Amin, Basem Shihada & Mohamed-Slim Alouini. 2020. What should 6G be? DOI: https://doi.org/ 10.36227/techrxiv.10247726.v2
- Guan Gui, Miao Liu, Fengxiao Tang, Nei Kato & Fumiyuki Adachi. 2020. 6G: opening new horizons for integration of comfort, security and intelligence. IEEE Wireless Communication
- Yang Ping, Yue Xiao & Shaoqian Li. 2019. 6G Wireless Communications: Vision and Potential Techniques. IEEE Network, 33(4),70-75. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1109/MNET.2019.1800418
- Huang Chongwen, et al., 2019. Holographic MIMO surfaces for 6G wireless networks: opportunities, challenges, and trends. arXiv preprint arXiv:1911.12296.
- Nei Kato, Bomin Mao, Fengxiao Tang, Yuichi Kawamoto & Jiajia Liu. 2020. Ten challenges in advancing machine learning technologies toward 6G. In IEEE Wireless Communication, 1-8. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.001.1900476
- Marcos Katz, Pekka Pirinen & Harri Posti. 2019. Towards 6G: getting ready for the next decade. In 2019 16th International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS), IEEE, 2019, pp. 714–718
- Longfie Yan, Chong Han, Jinhong Yuan. 2020. Hybrid precoding for 6G terahertz communications: performance evaluation and open problems. In 2nd 6G Wireless Summit (6G SUMMIT)
- Yifei Yuan, Yajun Zhao, Zong Baiqing & Sergio Parolari. 2020. Potential key technologies for 6G mobile communications. Sci. China Inf. Sci. 63,1-19
- Walid Saad, Mehdi Bennis & Mingzhe Chen. 2019. A vision of 6G wireless systems: applications, trends, technologies, and open research problems.
- David Szabo, Andras Gulyas, Frank Fitzek & Daniel Lucani, 2015. Towards the tactile internet: decreasing communication latency with network coding and software defined networking. In Proceedings of European Wireless 2015; 21th European Wireless Conference, VDE, 2015, pp. 1–6.
- Tao Hong, Cong Liu & Michel Kadoch. 2019. Machine learning based antenna design for physical layer security in ambient backscatter communications, Wireless Commun. Mobile Computer.
- Junaid Nawaz, Shree Sharma, Shurjeel Wyne, M.N. Patwary & Md Asaduzzaman. 2019. Quantum machine learning for 6g communication networks: state-of-the-art and vision for the future.
- Shanzi Chen, Ying-Change Liang, Shaohui Sun & Mugen Peng. 2020. Vision, requirements, and technology trend of 6g: How to tackle the challenges of system coverage, capacity, user data-rate and movement speed.
- Meryem Simsek, Adnan Aijaz, Mischa Dohler, Joachim Sachs & Gerhard Fettweis. 2016. 5G-enabled tactile internet. In IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 34(3), 460–473
- Kwang Soon Kim, et al. 2018. Ultrareliable and low-latency communication techniques for tactile internet services. Proceedings of the IEEE, 107(2), 376-393
- George Plastiras, Maria Terzi, Christos Kyrkou & Theocharis Theocharidcs. 2018. Edge intelligence: Challenges and opportunities of near-sensor machine learning applications. In 2018 IEEE 29th International Conference on Application-specific Systems, Architectures and Processors.
- ENISA. 2020. Artificial intelligence cybersecurity challenges. ENISA, Tech.Rep.
- Tharaka Hewa, Gurkan G ̈ur, Anshuman Kalla, Mika Ylianttila, An Bracken & Madhusanka Liyanage. 2020. The role of blockchain in 6G: Challenges, opportunities and research directions. In 2020 2nd 6G Wireless Summit. IEEE, 2020
- Nayak & Patgiri. 2020. 6G Communication Technology: A Vision on intelligent Healthcare. arXiv e-prints, p. arXiv:2005.07532.
- Weiwei Li, Zhou Su, Ruidong Li, K. Zhang & Yuntao Wang. 2020. Blockchain-based datasecurity for artificial intelligence applications in 6G networks. IEEE Network, 34(6), 31–37
- Hyesung Kim, Jihong Park, Mehdi Bennis & Seong-Lyun Kim. 2018. On-device federated learning via blockchain and its latency analysis. arXiv preprintarXiv:1808.03949, 2018.
- Shunliang Zhang & Dali Zhu. 2020. Towards artificial intelligence-enabled 6G: State of the art, challenges, and opportunities. Computer Networks, 183, p. 107556.
- Tharaka Hewa, Gurkan G ̈ur, Anshuman Kalla, Mika Ylianttila, An Bracken & Madhusanka Liyanage. (2020). The Role of Blockchain in 6G: Challenges, Opportunities and Research Directions. In 2020 2nd 6G Wireless Summit. doi:10.1109/6gsummit49458.2020.90
- Sudhir Routray & Sasmita Mohanty. 2020. Why Do We Need 6G? Main Motivation and Driving Forces of Sixth Generation Mobile Communication Networks. In Revista de Sistemas de Informação da FSMA.
- Shunliang Zhang & Dali Zhu. 2020. Towards artificial intelligence-enabled 6G: State of the art, challenges, and opportunities.
- Ali Hussain Khan, Naveed UL Hassan, Chau Yuen, Jun Zhao, Dusit Niyato, Yan Zhang & Vincent Poor. 2021. Blockchain and 6G: The Future of Secure and Ubiquitous Communication.
- Marco Giordani & Michele Zorzi. 2020. Non-Terrestrial Networks in the 6G Era: Challenges and Opportunities. In IEEE Network, 35(2), 244-251
- Mirza Kibria, Kien Nguyen, Gabriel Villardi, Ou Zhao, Kentaro Ishizu & Fumihide Kojima. 2018. Big Data Analytics, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence in Next-Generation Wireless Networks. IEEE Access, 6
- Lin Zhang, Ying-Chang Liang & Dusit Niyato. 2019. 6G Visions: Mobile Ultra-Broadband, Super Internet-of-Things, and Artificial Intelligence.
- Sergey Andreev, Vitaly Petrov, Mischa Dohler & Halim Yanikomeroglu. 2019. Future of Ultra-Dense Networks Beyond 5G: Harnessing Heterogeneous Moving Cells. In IEEE Communications Magazine, 57(6), 86–92
- Dinh Nguyen et al. 2021. 6G Internet of Things: A Comprehensive Survey. arXiv e-print, p.arxix:2108.04973v1.
- Nan Zhao, Shun Zhang, Richard Yu, Yunfie Chen, Arumugam Nallanathan & Victor Leung. 2017. Exploiting Interference for Energy Harvesting: A Survey, Research Issues, and Challenges. IEEE Access, 5, 10403-10421.
- Philip Boucher. 2020. Artificial intelligence: How does it work, why does it matter, and what can we do about it? European Parliamentary Research Service.
- Jiaheng Wang, Xintong Ling, Yuwei Le, Yongming Huang & You Xianhu 2021. Blockchain-enabled wireless communications: a new paradigm towards 6G. National Science Review, 8(9). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/nsr/nwab069
- Chamitha de Alwis et al. 2022. Towards 6G: Key technological directions. In Press.