An Agile Approach to a Project Management Information System Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Aaron Emmanuel F. Magno
- Paula Andrea Belo
- Carlos Miguel L. Miranda
- University of Asia and the Pacific
- Innovatus: Digital Transformation in Business Information Systems Vol. 5, No. 1 (Online), 2022
- ISSN (Print): 2651-6993
Company X has inefficiencies in their business process that are causing bottlenecks in managing their projects. According to the company, the process of collecting project and client information, and sending it for approval takes at least a week to complete when it should be done in at most 3 days. They also do not have a systematized way of storing and retrieving information, as their data has been fragmented across multiple software programs. Despite the restrictions brought by the pandemic, we utilized an Agile Methodology in developing a project management information system that keeps track of projects, clients, tasks and work logs of the company. The entire development process, as well as all interactions with the client, were done online. We used Google Forms to collect data from the client after key sprints, and we used Discord, GitHub, and Trello as our main collaboration tools throughout this process. In conclusion, agile methodology allowed us to conduct a flexible approach as development is done through sprints. Online meetings were held with the client after every key sprint, and the necessary tools were used to ensure the successful remote development of the system.
- Project Management Information System, Remote, Agile, Project Management
- Éric Germain and Pierre N. Robillard. 2005. Engineering-based processes and agile methodologies for software development: a comparative case study. J. Syst. Softw. 75, 1–2 (15 February 2005), 17–27. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2004.02.022
- Abhinav Chandrababu 2005, A Comparison between Agile and Traditional Software Development Methodologies
- Project Management Institute. (2017). A guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK guide) (6th ed.). Project Management Institute.
- Aadamsoo, A. (2010). Web Based Project Management System. Retrieved 2020, from https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/16996/Aadamsoo_Anne-Mai.pdf
- M. Taghavi, A. Patel, A. Patel and H. Taghavi, "Web base project management system for development of ICT project outsourced by Iranian government," 2011 IEEE Conference on Open Systems, 2011, pp. 267-272, doi: 10.1109/ICOS.2011.6079292.
- State of Agile, “13th Annual State of Agile Report” https://www.duxdiligens.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/13th-a nnual-state-of-agile-report_7_May_2019.pdf [May 2019]
- da Camara, R., Marinho, M., Sampaio, S. and Cadete, S., 2020. How do Agile Software Startups deal with uncertainties by Covid-19 pandemic?. arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.13715.
- Neumann, M. and Bogdanov, Y., 2022. The Impact of Covid 19 on Agile Software Development: A Systematic Literature Review. [online] Doi.org. Available at: [Accessed 28 April 2022].
- Denae Ford, Margaret-Anne Storey, Thomas Zimmermann, Christian Bird, Sonia Jaffe, Chandra Maddila, Jenna L. Butler, Brian Houck, and Nachiappan Nagappan. 2021. A Tale of Two Cities: Software Developers Working from Home during the COVID-19 Pandemic. ACM Trans. Softw. Eng. Methodol. 31, 2, Article 27 (December 2021), 37 pages. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1145/3487567 ISO/IEC 25010
- ISO/IEC 25010:2011, Systems and software engineering — Systems and software Quality Requirements and Evaluation (SQuaRE) — System and software quality models.